The Cranleigh Coat of Arms
The shield is broken into two parts. The upper part called the Chief is
made of blue and gold. It derives from the De Warrene family, Earls of
Surrey and goes back to at least 1300. The lower part called the Field,
the main part is the chevron, (coloured blue). On the main field there
are three maple leaves, they represent, the countryside, the Acer
Rubrum in the High Street and our links with Canada.
On the chevron, the three bezants symbolises the gold coin of the
Byzantium age. They are the three bags of gold of St Nicolas. He
represents generosity, care and kindness. St Nicolas Church is the
oldest church in the village.
The two cranes are looking backwards to the past reminding us of where
we have come from. Forward to the future but guarding the task at hand
as they hold their foot on the basket. The mantling and the reef are in
blue and gold to match the colours of the shield.
The motto in gold blue and red CRANLEIGH CARITATEM HABET translated
means Cranleigh has charity. This is reduced to Cranleigh Cares.